The national office of The Phi Beta Kappa Society seeks a creative, collaborative, and forward-thinking individual to provide programmatic and administrative support for the Society’s National Arts & Sciences Initiative. The Associate will work to strengthen support for the liberal arts and sciences through awareness-raising events, a national engagement campaign, state and federal policy advocacy, and coordination with partners to amplify the impact of our work.
This is a full-time position in the national office of the Phi Beta Kappa Society in Washington, D.C. Compensation will include a salary commensurate with the qualifications of the successful candidate. Phi Beta Kappa offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and retirement benefits. The Society is an equal opportunity employer.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and execute logistics for Initiative events and act as the primary point of contact for event-related vendors
- Actively contribute to the development and implementation of strategies designed to advance the Society’s advocacy goals
- Undertake research and conduct analysis on key issues and audiences in the field of higher education
- Assist with the planning, implementation, and execution of the Triennial Council and other Society events as needed
- Create original and compelling content with the intent of engaging members in our mission
- Build relationships with key stakeholders and serve as a representative of the Initiative under the guidance of senior staff and executives
- Assist with outreach via newsletters, surveys, and direct mailings
- Proven experience and demonstrated success in event planning and execution
- Familiarity with nonprofit communications campaigns and nonprofit advocacy strongly preferred
- BA/BS degree, with Phi Beta Kappa membership preferred, but not required
- A passion for the liberal arts and sciences, combined with a keen interest in news, books, culture, and politics
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills, with the ability to think on one’s feet and stay on message
- Exceptional time-management and organizational skills, with the ability to work with a team as well as independently, and to manage and meet deadlines for multiple projects simultaneously
- Proficiency in HTML, Google Analytics, multi-channel social media platforms, MS Office Suite, MAC OS, and Adobe Creative Studio (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) is preferred.
Candidates should submit a cover letter detailing interest and qualifications for the position along with a résumé by Tuesday, June 26.
Submit materials electronically to:
Anne Wise, Director of the National Arts & Sciences Initiative
Note: Please include National Arts & Sciences Initiative Associate Position in the email subject line. No phone calls please.
Founded on December 5, 1776, The Phi Beta Kappa Society is the nation’s most prestigious academic honor society. It has chapters at 286 colleges and universities in the United States, 49 alumni associations, and more than half a million members worldwide. Noteworthy members include 17 U.S. Presidents, 40 U.S. Supreme Court Justices and more than 130 Nobel Laureates.
About The Phi Beta Kappa Society
The mission of The Phi Beta Kappa Society is to champion education in the liberal arts and sciences, foster freedom of thought, and recognize academic excellence. For more information, visit www.pbk.org