- Confirm if your Senator is on the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Subcommittee
- Keep your message as short, simple, and specific as possible. If you can, reference pending legislation.
- Tell the impact of a NEH or NEA grant to your community or a brief personal anecdote when possible to tie your message back home for your legislator.
- Follow up when appropriate by thanking your legislator when you agree with their votes or informing them when you disagree.
The Impact of NEA and NEH: Data and Grants in Your State
- Americans for the Arts Social Impact Explorer
- National Humanities Alliance Humanities for All (Projects Searchable by State)
- National Endowment for the Arts State Fact Sheets
- National Endowment for the Humanities Grants Awarded Database (Projects Searchable by State)
- National Endowment for the Arts: Key National and State Findings on the Economic Impact of the Cultural Sector
Sample Letter for U.S. Senate Appropriations Subcommittee:
Dear Senator <>:
As one of your constituents, I am writing because the U.S. House of Representatives Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Subcommittee recently voted to increase funding for the National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities for FY 2021 to a level of $170 million. I hope you will continue to work to secure this funding level as the final outcome as the U.S. Senate considers FY 2021 appropriations.
As you know, the NEA and NEH are the primary sources for arts and humanities research, teaching, preservation, and public programming in the United States. Additionally, NEA and NEH funding strengthen the cultural infrastructure of communities like [Insert Your Town or City] in every state and territory across the nation.
I know you will face tough decisions in the months ahead. The arts and culture sector represents 4.2 percent of the nation’s GDP—a larger share of the economy than transportation, tourism, and agriculture. The NEA and NEH are outstanding stewards of the relatively small amount of federal support -about the cost of one postage stamp for each American- they receive annually.
That’s why I want you to know that I believe that federal investments in the NEA and NEH are an essential priority for communities right now. Thank you for your service and please keep me informed of your activities.